Founded in the 1887 as a tin smelting company, The Straits Trading Company Limited (“Straits Trading”) is today an investment company with diversified interests in real estate, hospitality and resources across the Asia-Pacific region. Straits Trading’s business is centred on a thriving real estate ecosystem, which is anchored by its stakes in SRE, ARA Asset Management Limited, Suntec REIT, as well as an investment property portfolio. In addition, Straits Trading possesses a hospitality platform, Far East Hospitality Holdings Pte Ltd., and engages in tin mining and smelting through its 54.8%-owned subsidiary, Malaysia Smelting Corporation Berhad, that is dual listed on Bursa Malaysia and SGX-ST.
Straits Trading aims to be an efficient capital allocator with the ability to invest and allocate capital across a range of asset classes. In particular, the company’s real estate ecosystem enables it to leverage its wide business networks as well as its partners’ for enhanced deal flow and access to off-market investment opportunities.
Straits Trading has a long history in real estate development in Singapore and Malaysia, having developed many prestigious projects since the 1960s, including the iconic 21-storey Straits Trading Building, Great Eastern Centre and China Square Central in Singapore, as well as the seven-storey Straits Trading Building in Kuala Lumpur and Taman Selat, a major commercial cum residential development in Butterworth, Penang.
Its portfolio of residential properties consist of premier and upmarket developments in Singapore, such as the Good Class Bungalows at Cable Road and Nathan Road, as well as Gallop Green Townhouses located in the prime residential area of District 10 in Singapore.
JL Family Office (“JLFO”) is the investment holding group of companies founded by Mr John Lim, Group Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director of ARA Asset Management Limited. Mr John Lim has more than 30 years of experience in the real estate industry, and has received many notable corporate awards and is considered an eminent voice in the Asia-Pacific real estate circle. His personal accolades include being listed as one of the 100 Most Influential of the Decade – PERE Decade and Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Singapore 2012. Mr John Lim has also been on Forbes’ Asia Singapore’s Richest list since 2010.
JLFO comprises of an investment arm as well as a philanthropic arm, the Lim Hoon Foundation. The investment arm oversees a global portfolio based around the investment philosophy of Mr John Lim.
ARA Asset Management Limited (“ARA”) is a premier global integrated real assets fund manager. As at 30 June 2018, the Gross Assets Managed by ARA Group and its Associates is approximately S$78.2 billion1 across 62 cities in 20 countries.
Driven by a vision to be the best-in-class real assets fund management company, ARA Group and its Associates’ businesses include:
- REITs – ARA is one of the largest REIT managers in Asia. The Group directly manages Fortune REIT, dual-listed in Singapore and Hong Kong; Suntec REIT and Cache Logistics Trust, listed in Singapore; and Hui Xian REIT and Prosperity REIT, listed in Hong Kong. It also indirectly manages REITs in Japan and Australia through its associate companies.
- Private real estate funds – The Group manages private funds providing investment opportunities in diverse real estate sectors and geographies that cater to different investor risk appetites.
- Infrastructure – ARA Infrastructure was established in 2018 to cater to strong investor demand for global infrastructure investment in line with the increasing opportunities in this asset class.
- Country desks – ARA operates country desks in China, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Australia and Europe. The country desks employ a strong understanding of each local market to facilitate the flow of inbound and outbound capital and cross-country collaborations. In Korea, ARA manages six private REITs; In Japan, ARA holds a strategic stake in Kenedix, Inc.; In Europe, ARA’s platform is extended through its strategic partnership with Australia-based Cromwell Property Group.
- Real estate management services – As part of the Group’s investor-operator philosophy, its dedicated property management teams actively work the ground to manage its assets around the world.
Its multi-platform, multi-product global fund management strategy, combined with its dedicated teams with in-depth local knowledge enables the Group to offer enduring value to its investors. Built on a foundation of strong corporate governance and business integrity, ARA counts some of the world’s largest pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, financial institutions, endowments and family offices as its investors.
1 Includes assets under management by ARA Asset Management Holdings Pte. Ltd. and the Group of companies (“ARA Group”) and its Associates and Joint Ventures as at 30 June 2018.